Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Manual Lawn Mower


I finally got my manual lawn mower. Found one at a flea market for $40. Big savings over the $100+ they run new ($80 on sale). It seems to run pretty smooth, biggest problem I have, is that, the grass is to tall to mow with a manual. Since, I haven't had a mower all year, the grass hasn't been mowed much. Twice I paid a neighbor $10 to mow it and once i borrowed a friends mower. I may have to do the same again, so that I can get the grass back down to a manageable level so that I can mow with my manual.
Why use a manual?
There are several reasons, first is the high cost of gas prices. Since a manual doesn't use any type of fuel, I am doing my part to decrease our nations dependency on oil. Not to mention the emissions, a gas mower puts into the air.
Second, is the maintenance factor, since there isn't anything to break down, there is less I have to do maintain the mower. The only thing I have to do, is keep the mower clean and occasionally lubricate the blades. Not much to it.
Finally a third reason, is that I work nights, as such everyone else's 1 am is my 1 pm, so I can be outside at 1 am on my day off, like tonight, and mow my yard without disturbing the neighbors.
So as you can see their are great benefits to the environment as well as my pocketbook. If everyone in America would do the same thing, we could really cut our dependence on oil immensely, by that simple act alone. It won't happen, but for me, I am doing my part.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your article and I never thought about the quiet feature. When I worked second shift(went in at 2PM) one thing I hated was neighbors mowers at 7AM. I appreciate the picture because at 1st I thought you meant a push mower in contrast to a riding mower.It brings back my chilhood of the 60s when we had to use those in our back yard. Liberty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your article and I never thought about the quiet feature. When I worked second shift(went in at 2PM) one thing I hated was neighbors mowers at 7AM. I appreciate the picture because at 1st I thought you meant a push mower in contrast to a riding mower.It brings back my chilhood of the 60s when we had to use those in our back yard. Liberty

    ReplyDelete