Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Personal Finance According to Jed Clampett


As a personal finance blogger, I often talk about my own personal finances. My success and my failures are an open book to everyone who reads this blog. In between the more personal posts I post various tips and occasionally an interview or two.
Today, I set down with Jed Clampett to ask how he lives frugally, even with all his millions.

  • The first thing Jed told me was that last year he switched all of the light bulbs in his Beverly Hills house to compact fluorescents (CFL's). According to Jed, "you will be amazed with over 100 light bulbs in the house, how much this alone saves on our electric bill." He also said, that buying fewer light bulbs over time saves money as well.

  • While we were on electric use, I asked him about his electric use. Seems he not only turns off the lights when he leaves a room, but unless he is reading, he rarely even turns a light on. However, he admits, that as a elementary school dropout, he rarely reads. He even prefers cooking outside rather then using the electric stove.

  • While I keep my furnace set around 64 in the winter, Jed tells me that he keeps it around 50. Seems a little chilly for me, but with the nice sunny California weather. Even the chilly nights, probably isn't cold enough to warrant the use of heat for him and his clan anyway.

  • The thing that surprised me the most, is they have gone hi-tech. With cousin Jethro finally getting into high school, Jethro has become a big fan of the computer and helps his uncle and Granny pay the bills with their banks online bill pay. Not only that they email just about everyone. Saving the family a heap of money on stamps.

  • Around the house, Jed says he reuses the grocery bags they bring home from the store. Instead of buying trash bags, he said they put the plastic grocery bags in the smaller cans, like in the bathrooms and bedrooms. The paper grocery bags, according to Jed, are reused in the bigger trash cans, like in the kitchen.

  • of course, that is difficult sometimes, when they don't buy much food. Since they have a nice garden out by the cement pond, and go hutting for possum for meat. He even offered me some possum and greens, which I politely turned down.

  • Despite all their money, Granny refuses to use a washing machine and dryer. Instead, she still uses a washboard. Hanging the clothes out on the clothes line to dry.

  • Jed also told me that they don't buy soda pop or buy any water. The water that comes from the faucet is better then any thing they drank before they "moved away from there."

  • Finally, he said the one thing he learned before striking it rich and moving away from there, is he compared insurance rates and changed his insurance company to a company that offered cheaper premiums. Something, he still does every year, to make sure he still is getting the best rate.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment