Saturday, September 1, 2007

30 Ways To Save Money

Back in February I posted a post about "25 Frugal Tips To Save Money". Today I would like to revisit that post and bring everyone up to speed with how my efforts have progressed. There re now 5 additional ways added to those original 25.

  1. Compact Fluorescent Light (C.F.L.) Bulbs
  2. I recently posted about this one. But, in case you missed it. I have 27 light sockets around the house. Of those I have replaced 13 of them with CFL's, which leaves 14 more that still need to be replaced.
  3. Heating

  4. In the cold months I keep my furnace setting at 67 degrees.

  5. Outlet Insulation

  6. I went through the house and all the outlets that were on exterior walls, put those weird looking outlet and switch insulation behind the covers. This will help keep drafts around these outlets.
  7. Online Bill Pay

  8. Like I said in my previous post, I pay most all of my bills online. This process saves me on stamps and is a free service through my Credit Union.

  9. Attic Insulation

  10. As planned I saved the money up, and then had insulation blown in. This money was then depleted, by some stupidity on my part. I intend to get the $535 paid off, and am trying to get the money again, while staying on top of my other bills. The insulation company is threatening to turn it over to collections unless I pay up today. I believe I can still get it paid off by the end of the year, but they must wait their turn. If only they had come back to the door, after finishing the job, I would have handed them the money which was in my account at the time.

    The insulation, will save on my energy bills this next winter.

  11. Reuse

  12. For a number of years, I have reused the plastic margarine, cottage cheese, etc, etc bowls to store leftover food in. This is an idea that I learned from my mother and grandmother.

  13. Turn off all lights when not in a room
    Do I need to say anymore? If you aren't in a room, why does it need to be lit up?

  14. Cook my own meals

  15. I cook my own meals at home, rather then eating out.
  16. Work Lunches

  17. Take my on lunch to work.
  18. Laundry

  19. Wash clothes in cold water rather then warm or hot. I save the cost of gas to heat the water and despite what the Cheer and Tide commercials try to tell you, your laundry will get just as clean in the cold wash (without their "special" soap).

  20. Pick up money from the ground and save in my change jar

  21. Round up

  22. Round up in check book and place excess in savings at end of the month. Some banks actually do this for you, with their "keep the change program."

  23. Put raises or bonuses in savings or apply towards debt


  24. Library

  25. Borrow books and videos from the library instead of buying them.

  26. Hair Cuts

  27. I only cut my hair 3-4 times a year...this last year I got a crew cut and was able to go six months before getting another hair cut. This year, I bought my own clippers, and have been cutting my own hair. The clippers cost me $25 and when you consider my barber charged $8 a cut, I will save money by the end of the year.

  28. Thrift Shops

  29. Go to thrift stores, yard sales, and auctions, rather then buying new. The Economizers, "America's Cheapest Family," does this and in one interview that I have seen a couple of times, said the only clothing that they don't by used is underwear. (Can't say i blame them there)

  30. Vending Machines

  31. Refrain as much as possible from buying things in vending machines.

  32. Shopping

  33. Buy generic (store brands) over name-brand

  34. Debts

  35. Pay more than the minimum on my debts.

  36. Grocery Bags

  37. Re-use the plastic grocery bags as trash bags (especially in the smaller bathroom/bedroom cans). I do the same with paper bags in my kitchen trash can.

  38. Dryer Sheets

  39. I use 1/2 of a dryer sheet per load.

  40. Stock Up

  41. Stock up on non-perishable sale items.

  42. Don't Buy What You Don't Need

  43. Train myself that my house is not a museum. I don't need to own everything cool (like that flat screen TV, I see at Best Buy) that I discover. I can just admire it in the store.

  44. Free Food

  45. Jump at the chance to take home food from work potlucks when asked.

  46. Grocery Shopping

  47. Use coupons and check grocery circulars to get the best deals.

  48. Leave the car at Home

  49. When weather is nice, I walk the 3 blocks to church rather then driving (I usually would have to park 2 blocks away anyway).I do the same thing (or bicycle to neighborhood meetings.

  50. Popcorn

  51. I pop my own popcorn, rather then buying microwave popcorn. I think it tastes better anyway.

  52. Movies

  53. Don't go to movie theaters, instead wait for the video and watch them at home.
  54. Soda Pop

  55. Buy sodas from the supermarket when they’re on sale instead of from the office vending machine. (I have also started trying to limit myself to one soda a day).

  56. Subscriptions

  57. Cut out all subscriptions to magazines unless I can get them free.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some great ideas. I love using CF bulbs. I hate changing lightbulbs, so they work really well for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out this article about a guy that went brand-free for a year.. very interesting!!

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6977844.stm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Found you through Carnival of Debt Management.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for post, these are some wonderful suggestions. I find my self doing a whole bunch of these things on a regular basis. My wife calls me cheap, but to me it just make good fiscal cents ($). One thing I’m looking forward to try this winter is using an automatic thermostat. The only reason I haven’t bought one yet is that I find it hard justifying the initial expense of 60-100 dollars for the unit.

    ReplyDelete