Monday, September 17, 2007

101 Ways to Save Revisited

Last September, I posted 101 ways to save. This year I think it deserves to be revisited. Did my thoughts change? Well yes, on at least one of the points. Have I implemented all these money saving tips. Well that's why we are revisiting it.


1. Set your thermostat to 64 and turn it down to 60 at night.
This is something that I try to do every winter. It's easy to put sleeves on and once you are acclimated to the temperature, it will feel quite comfortable.
2. Use the phone book instead of directory assistance.
This is something I usually do. However, I do need to do better, because sometimes I just get plain lazy.
3. Use coupons at the grocery store.
I need to do better at this. At the same time I find that most times buying store brand or generics are better deals then buying name brands with coupons.
4. Carpool.
A great idea, if a number of people go to work at the same time. For me, since I work retail and am the only one on my side of town, it isn't practical, but for a huge segment of Americans working in an office, this is a great idea.
5. Ask for generic prescriptions instead of brand name.
I make a point of doing this every time. In fact, if I use the pharmacy at my company, then they will automatically prepare the generic and submit it to the company insurance. For employees, they were doing the $4 deal years before Wally World started offering it to everyone. As a result they now offer the deal to everyone, not just employees.
6. Do your own nails.
OK, I am not female so this doesn't apply to me, but it makes perfect since. If you are female, why pay $30 to trim and polish your own nails when you can do it yourself for less then $1.
7. Rent out a room or garage.
This is something I have been doing for several years. I rent out the spare bedroom to get some additional income coming in. Sometimes, he is a little late getting the check to me, but so far he has never failed to get me the rent within a week of its due date.
8. Replace incandescents with CFL's.
Originally this was changing light bulbs to lower watts. Now all of my 60 and 40 watt bulbs are slowly being replaced by CFL's (Compact Fluorescents). The CFL's not only last longer, but because they are fluorescents they cost less to operate each day as well.
9. Make long distance calls at night and on weekends, instead of mid-day, mid-week.
This is great advice, however, I am 100% cellular and have no long distance, no roaming.
10. Throw pocket change in a jar and take it to the bank when it’s full.

11. Always grocery shop with a list.
Shopping with a list will save you money on your grocery shopping, as long as you stick to what's on the list. Another way to say it, "Don't buy on impulse. This is something I need to do better at. Since I work at grocery store, I tend to pick stuff up as I am leaving. Which means, I tend to pay more then I would if I planned, made a list and went to the store once a week.
12. Buy spare parts for your car at a junkyard.
I haven't had to make these kind of repairs with my current car, but I have done this with several of my other cars.
13. Go to museums on free days.
Sounds like a great idea. Now when is the free day?
14. Quit smoking.
I don't smoke, but if you do...this would save quite bit of change. For example, cigarettes in my area run about $3.99 a pack. If you smoke a pack a day, and you were to quit, you would save $1,456.35/year.
15. Get hand-me-down clothes and toys for your kids from family and friends.
16. Switch to water when dining out.
Restaurants make a killing on drinks. Getting water instead, is not only healthier, but at free, much cheaper.
17. Brew your own Coffee, rather than buying it on the run.
If you have two cups a day at $1.50 each workday, that’s $60 over a month. You can buy a decent coffee maker, really good bean or ground coffee, and a Stanley stainless steel insulated thermos for about $45 and come out $15 ahead just the first month!

18. Take a shorter shower.
Over the last year, I have started cutting back my shower time and in turn my watter bill.
19. Write letters instead of calling.
20. Brown bag your lunch.
I try to do this, but sometimes my lazy butt still doesn't get this done.
21. Make your own baby food, when I was a teenager and my parents had an another kid, I remember mom doing this. It was a simple as putting the peas (or whatever vegetable) in the blender.
22. Use public transportation.
I love this idea. I have been fighting my city to offer better public transportation. Not everyone works 9-5, so why do they only offer service from 6 to 6? Of course my latest job assignment as me working about 2 miles north of the most northern bus stop, so even if they went later, I wouldn't be able to ride very well. Still, people who work in the day, would like to go to the mall to, and currently, local transportation doesn't allow that.
23. Drop duplicate medical insurance. What a great idea. I am not sure why anyone would have duplicate insurance, but it happens and should be eliminated TODAY.
24. Buy old furniture at yard sales and refinish it yourself. I am not very handy with power tools, but I have a couple of projects in the workshop, that I am working on. Like the old chest of drawers that I plan to turn into a TV stand. I mean hey, the drawers are missing and someone threw out the main frame, even though it is in perfectly good shape.
25. Apply for scholarships and financial aid. If you are a student or are planning to go to college, then this is perfect advice. Look, it's not good to be saddled with debt at any time, especially when we are first graduating college, so make sure you don't have to.
26. Exercise for free walk, jog, bike, or get exercise videos from the library.
27. Form a baby-sitting cooperative with friends and neighbors. If you
28. Buy your clothes off season.
29. Go to a matinee instead of an evening show.
30. Share housing with a friend or family member.
31. Hang clothes out to dry. Instead of using that dryer and wasting electricity (or gas), air drying is much cheaper.
32. Do not use your calling card. calling cards are expensive. If you have call, do so from home.
33. Volunteer two hours a month for reduced cost food through the Share Program. This is something that I have done and is available in many parts of the country regardless of income. The program uses different names in different parts of the country, but it is similar everywhere. (Note: Heartland Share in Kansas has been merged into Share Colorado.)
34. Change the oil in your car yourself regularly. This right here will save you tons, and I need to do better in this area.
35. Get pre-approval from your medical insurance company before undergoing any procedures or tests. In these days of more and more HMO based insurance, this is fantastic advice.
36. Buy "no frills" vitamins. I never buy brand names. The store brands are just as good and much cheaper.
37. Take a date for a walk along the beach or in the woods. If you are dating (or spending time with a spouse) this is a perfect idea instead of spending money on an expensive dinner or movie.
38. Make cards and gifts for friends.

39. Shop thrift stores.

People give away some really nice things! Last year, I picked up a Washburn University (polo style) shirt, that I have really been wanting for $2, that at the University Bookstore sells for about $30.
40. Have your water company do an audit so you are not charged sewage fees for water used in your garden.
41. Refinance your mortgage.
42. Grocery shop on double coupon days. Or at stores that double coupons everyday.
43. Trade down your car for a less expensive, lower maintenance one.
44. Convert your cash value life insurance to term. Term insurance is a better deal. Look, unless you are going to cash out before you die, then you will never see any of the "extra" money in the cash value and neither will your descendants. Not only that, you can get a better return from a good mutual fund.
45. Shop around for eyeglasses. Never, just buy your eyeglasses from the eye doctor. If you live a larger city, then shop around and see what other glasses makers are offering.
46. Do not be shy about pulling something you like out of the trash.
With a little refurbishing, it could be as good as new for a few more years.
47. Recycle. As I have said a time or two in this blog, I am not much of environmentalist, unless it is saving me money. As such I save aluminum (pop & beer) cans as well as tin (vegetable & soup) cans.
48. Move to a less expensive place to live.
49. Use low flush toilets or water saving devices in the tank.
50. Drop unneeded telephone services like call forwarding or caller ID.
51. Buy fruits and vegetables in season.

52. Avoid using your ATM card at machines that charge a fee.
Paying fees 0f $1,$1.50 or more at ATM machines can add up quickly. Remember, when you use another banks ATM, the charge isn't just from that ban, but yours as well so the charge can be double what you agree to at the ATM.

53. Bicycle to work.
Using leg power, instead of gasoline, can save hundreds of dollars each year.
54. Shop around for auto insurance discounts for multiple drivers, seniors, good driving records, etc.
55. Ask your doctor for samples of prescriptions. If your doctor prescribe something to you, they often will have samples they can give you to save you some money.
56. Borrow a dress for a big night out. or go to a consignment shop. Obviously, I am not a person who wears a dress, but a certain number of my readers are female and can use this tip.
57. When you buy a home negotiate the sales price and closing costs.
58. Turn the hot water heater down and wrap it with insulation. I need to find insulation for my water heater.
59. Never grocery shop hungry. What do you do if you work in a grocery store?
60. If you qualify, file for Earned Income Credit.
61. Shop around for prescriptions including mail order companies (Medi-Mail 800-331-1458, Action Mail Order Drugs 800-452-1976, and AARP 800-456-2277).
62. If you pay for childcare, make use of the dependent care tax credit or your employer’s dependent care flexible spending account.
63. Buy, sell, and trade clothes at consignment shops.
64. Shop around for the lowest banking fees.
65. Caulk windows and doors. This is something I am working on now. This reminds me that I need to finish this job today.
66. Iron your own shirts.
67. Plan your weekly food menu before shopping. (or monthly)
68. Buy a good used car instead of a new model car.
69. Purchase all of your insurance from the same company to get a discount.
70. Cut your cable television down to basic.
71. Go to an optometrist for routine vision tests or to change an eyeglass prescription.
72. Buy pre-owned toys and children’s books at garage sales.
73. Have potluck dinners with friends and family instead of going out. I think I like this one best. What a great way to have a "dinner party" and save money as well. The only problem might be, where to have it.
74. Use the library for books, video tapes, and music.
75. Inspect clothing carefully before purchasing it.
76. Don’t use your dishwasher dry cycle; open the door and let them air dry all night.
77. At the grocery store, comparison shop by looking at the unit price.
78. Make your own coffee.
79. Use old newspapers for cat litter.
80. Shop at discount clothing stores.
81. Skip annual full mouth x-rays unless there is a problem; the ADA recommends x-rays every 3 years.
82. Water your garden at night or early in the morning.
83. Shop around for long distance rates.
84. Hand wash instead of dry cleaning.
85. Grow your own vegetables and herbs.

86. Buy generics, when grocery shopping.

If you can get past the preconceived notion, that generic is a lesser quality, you will find many of these items are just as good. In addition, if you don't think so, many stores guarantee their quality. Granted there are about 5 items I wont buy generic, but most things I will.
87. Donate time instead of money to religious organizations and charities.
88. If you are leaving a room for more than five minutes, turn off the light.
89. Shop at auctions or pawn shops for jewelry and antiques.
90. Keep your car properly tuned.
91. Request lower interest rates from your creditors.
92. Trade in old books, records, and CDs at book and record exchanges.
93. Pay bills the day they arrive; many credit card companies charge interest based on your average daily balance.
94. Buy software at computer fairs.
95. Search the Internet for freebies. but not for free software - free software is loaded with adware and spyware, that's why it is free.
96. Compost to make your own fertilizer.
97.If your car has very little value, you probably only need liability insurance.
98. Cut the kids hair yourself. I don't have kids, but this year, I started cutting my own hair and have already saved in cuts what I paid for the clippers. It's all money in the bank from here on out.
99. Increase your insurance deductible. This is great advice, but be sure you have enough in savings to cover your deductible.
100. Buy in bulk food warehouses.
101. If your income is low, contact utility companies about reduced rates.

2 comments:

  1. I do quite a bit of what you have on that list... but since I don't have a house or an apartment, I can't do the rest!

    Sorry to hear your public transportation isn't the best - I take it all the time and/or walk and it has saved my husband and I a ton of money in gas and car repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously Broke in the City -

    When I was still taking vacations, I always made sure I took mass transit. I love ridding the subway systems in Atlanta, Chicago, D. C., etc etc.


    I do wish that Topeka would at least have better bus service.

    ReplyDelete