Thursday, July 6, 2006

Plan To Curb Out of Control Spending


I was reading Jessica's post over at Debt has made me it's B****h {{{uh mm errr}}} slave, and realized she could be posting my story. So I left this reply:
The month of June has been the same way for me. I bought things and services, before I should have, now those overdrafts are being carried into July. Some of the items, I have been needing done for 7 years, like the yard light. Others like the bathroom sink has been broken for 6-9 months, while the cabinet under it needed replaced for 7 years. So I have waited, it's just I didn't wait till I had the cash to pay for these. I did have some volunteers help with some of the things, but it still cost me $75 to buy the wiring and $4 to buy the concrete so the volunteers could install the yard light that had been purchased 7 years ago. Then I had to buy the new sink and parts, the volunteers didn't get to that, because they didn't have the right tools, so I hired a plumber at $99.25 to finish that job. Now it will take a week and halfs paycheck to catch up, which means no bills can be paid. I still have a lot more to do around the house, I just need to get back on track financially first. I just don't want to wait another 7 years to get them finished. I am thankful for the volunteers. They got my yard light installed. Painted my dinning room walls (another 7 year old project). Started the tiles in my bathroom (another 7 yr old project). Replaced both bathroom light fixtures (again projects I knew needed to be done, when I bought the house 7 yrs. ago).

Projects I still need to do:
  • Paint bathroom trim, door and ceiling.
  • Finish landscaping projects in yard
  • Get electricity out to the shed/workshop (The shed has been remodeled, thanks to an insurance settlement).
  • finish tiling bathroom
  • New vinyl floor in bathroom
  • Office/storage space in basement (to help free up space upstairs).
  • Turn porch into a breakfast nook. A roll of carpet I was given for this project, was lost to fire, when the shed was set on fire by an arsonist, earlier in the year.

    and as time goes other things, will pop up (like the water heater is at that age), but these are things that have been needed or I have wanted done since I moved in.

  • Despite all the bad decisions, that I have made last month, I still came out slightly ahead on the debt retirement. Question, is will that hold true for July? Will I be able to catch up and still decrease my debts that has enslaved me?

    Only God knows for sure, but I think I can do it, if I stick to my plan, though I may not get anything into my savings. Although, I have a plan for that to. Right now my automatic deposit, puts cash into my savings account at the same credit union my checking is at. The CU then takes it by the end of the month and uses it, when I overdo my checking. To force myself to cut back on spending there, I am thinking of having the weekly savings deposit go to another credit union, where I have my emergency fund set up. Thus I also will assure I get money into my emergency fund, and I keep a little closer tab on my checking account.

    1 comment:

    1. I just found this post today! Man, I'm slow! Just wanted to share in the struggle :)

      ReplyDelete