Friday, July 21, 2006

Is Getting A Tax Deduction On Donations A Sin?

I know, not all my readers are Christians. I also know that not all Christians will agree with me here. However, ever since my days of serving in full time ministry, I have read the scriptures and wondered why so many pastors go with the way of the world here. Let me try to explain as plainly and concisely as possible.

Do I believe getting a tax deduction for a donation is a sin? Well maybe that's a little harsh, but it got your attention and peeked your interest in this article, and that is what I wanted.
Should we deduct our donations on our taxes? Well that is where, I don't believe we should. Why? Because of what scripture says.

"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. - Matthew 6:2-4 (NAS)


You see when I read that and then look at the tax forms, are we not in some way, by placing it on the piece of paper, bragging to the government? In affect saying, "Hey look at how good I am. I gave away all this money. Now reward me." To which the government does, giving you part of that amount as a tax break. Thus as God said in his word you were honored by men (or in this case the Government) and thus not entitled to your reward in Heaven.

Ok, as I said, I know it's controversial and I have heard many people try to argue why we should be able to, but none of them could base their argument from the Bible. Legally, yes the U. S. Government has set this up as acceptable, but is it acceptable from the the perspective of the Bible?

9 comments:

  1. ooh..that ones smarts. Now I feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess someone at the IRS might be interested in some people's personal finances (celebrities, etc.), but don't you think that when a normal average person like you or I files our taxes that they are reviewed by a computer and no one person actually looks at them unless the computer flags something strange? If so, I don't know who we are bragging to? A mainframe computer? If a tree falls in a forest and noone is there to hear it, does it make a noise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The passage you referenced is most likely addressing ones motive in giving to charity. More specifically ones' motive of getting recognition from others eg("don't sound a trumpet"), or secret pride eg("don't let your left know about your right hand"), is what the author is teaching. Soooo in practice there is a danger in taking a deduction from charitable contributions. However, in my judgment a danger doesn't necessarily translate into a transgression. I could claim the deduction and not be prideful about it. To me it all depends on a person's motivation. I agree with the previous comment that none of us are expecting praise from the IRS or the IRS mainframe. that is my point of view. thanks. Sean again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am not a christian, but i used to climb onto my high horse and think that i would not deduct my donations. but when i tripped the standard deductions, come 1040 time, sure i went ahead and itemized. on the other hand, i did not trumpet to others about how and where i donated, or how much.

    having said that, i thought you would probably feel guilty if you were to tithe (a christian practice, right?), then went and claimed a portion of that back on your taxes. now you would effecively not be tithing, right? i would understand why that would make you guilty (though i would not as i am not a christian), and you can resolve that guilt by bumping up your donations so that your net donations (after deductions) equates to a tithe.

    i hope this is not confusing...

    - s.b.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kevin, I find your comments interesting and have the following thought back.

    1 - Never ignore self interest and it is in all our interest to have a society that has an incentive to perform sharing activities. So the acts while kind have a degree of self involved.

    2 - Recovering my tax dollars is a great. Why not take advantage of anything to make that happen as the more independent I am the more secure.

    3 - Also, as a person once employed in the business of the 'word' your entire organizational structure was tax exempt and I am sure the pastor laws for tax treatment applied. If any religious organization removed the tax exempt status of donation, what is the consequence? Less money and impact is my conclusion.

    4 - The tax code is optional for itemized deductions. If a person has an issue for religous reasons on taking a deduction, they simply do not have to make that happen and donate without a receipt. It is the genious of the founding fathers that still applies.

    Related to that concept is if you enforce a tax rule based on a religious conclusion, you have crossed the line on church and state intersection which is not the intent of the founding fathers. So taxation based on religious dogma is not within the bounds of the constitution.

    Some thoughts..thanks for your post as it drives thinking.

    KS

    ReplyDelete
  6. That post is good for a couple thoughts...but I don't remember the Bible saying anything about "Render unto Caesar more than which you owe..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pyroguy has hit the nail on the head! Caesar (our govenment) is over-taxing us in the first place! If we didn't pay such a huge amount in taxes, we wouldn't be discussing saving a few bucks through charitable deductions. Plus variable tax brackets like 10% for low income group and 15% for a higher wager earner is unfair. It is unjust! And high taxes takes investing capital out of the ecomony which in turn stagnates growth. that is my take.
    thanks. sean

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is your moral right to claim the decuction for accoutablility, both yours and the howe of worship. judging from what bad accounting practice does to large corporation, it could happen in any institution.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the last 3 comments if I was to offer rebutal against Prince's beliefs about deducting charitable. The last 3 comments were right on. So even though I don't agree with Prince, I applaud him for making that connection with scripture and being consistent with it in his practice. The Bible does say, and I'm paraphrasing big time because I can't find the passage, that if you feel convicted that something is sinful, then to you it is a sin. I 'm thinking somewhere in Hebrews.

    Although anonymous said, "we wouldn't be discussing saving a few bucks through charitable deductions." - I think deducting charitable donations is a great deduction in comparison to, let's say, your mortgage interest/taxes/insurance. After all, you are "giving" it away to someone who needs it, and giving is pleasing to God. And I think Dave Ramsey has explained several times, that its a better deduction mathematically.

    My two cents!

    ReplyDelete