Friday, May 20, 2011

Small Homes Under 100 Square Feet (or even 500 SF)

Back in July 2007 I posted an article about a lady that had an 84 square foot home. I had seen the story on CNN. It was truely a thrifty idea.

However, as mentioned in the article it seems very similar to another one built by Jay Shafer, who actually has a company (Tumbleweed) that builds homes under 500 square feet for those interested. All of his houses are designed to be used as a home or a weekend escape. Prices run from $15,000 to $40,000. A few are within the legal limits for travel on U.S. roadways and come on wheels, so you can take them anywhere you want.



However, these small homes are not unique to the USA. In Great Britain there is this Hobbit house that you can see in the video below. The Hobbit House is said to be able house up to four people, however I wonder how crowded that would be with four people in the little house.



The final house I want to show you is a tiny apartment in Hong Kong. It is actually 344 square feet, which is slightly bigger then 100 feet but what he has done with this home is truly amazing. Can you believe 24 rooms in such a small place?


If I was still single I could do something like this to. In fact I did think about it while I was single. It just never happened. Now that I am married and with my wonderful and beautiful wife's disabilities I couldn't do the ladders and such. Still for those that can do away with all the stuff and learn to live on less this is a fantastically wonderful idea.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment