Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Free TV is Ending

Back in 1996, I found a great satellite service. The service offered nothing but Christian programing back then. Since then they have offered some family friendly TV stations as well. Such stations as the Hallmark channel, the Hallmark Movie Channel and Fox News have joined the line up along with such stations as Cornerstone TV (from PA), the Liberty Channel (as in Liberty University in VA) and many other Christian TV stations from around the country not to mention all the Christian radio stations. Well because I was an early subscriber, I had the opportunity to be a lifetime subscriber. Something that has paid for itself many times over.

Now, I have learned that come March 31, 2008, they will be ending their satellite service and be moving towards a new technology that will provide television through my high speed Internet service. The service called Sky Angel IPTV will be able to offer additional programing over the current (and soon to be disbanded). Some of the new channels include FOX Business (something I certainly want), the weather channel, discovery channel and the Sportsman Channel, to name just a few. Of course they are expanding their Christian TV programing as well, but as you can see the family channels really is being increased. The problem is that, I will no longer be a lifetime subscriber once they end the satellite service.

Their prices are as follows:

Faith Package $14.99 a month, Family Package $19.99 a month, and both packages $24.99. They are offering a free box if you make an 18 month commitment to the service.

While, I would love to make the switch and continue with this great service, I just don't know how I am going to work it into my budget. Perhaps, it is another area of consumerism that I must learn to do without.
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.






Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

4 comments:

  1. Hate to say it, but if you have debt this is not an item you can afford. We don't have any debt and still have no tv services. We have 2 tv's, 1 VCR, & 2 dvd players (all given to us, I did not pay anything for.) We get a few fuzzy local channels, and we watch dvd's and videos of which we have plenty. We also go to the library and rent free dvd's and vhs's. In addition you spend almost nothing on food. An extra $15 a month should go towards debt or food, not tv service. Sorry.
    By the way you can watch tv shows right online now. I do that occasionally as well, but mostly find nothing really worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Becky -
    That is exactly what I told Sky Angel, when I told them that appears that our relationship would come to an end after 3/31. They said they understood. Although, I did call back to see if there was a way to get free service again (since I had-had a lifetime subscription that gave me free satellite for the rest of my life or the life of the company). Unfortunately they didn't have anything. If I could have convinced them to give me free service, in exchange for promoting them on the blog, I would have taken it, but it just didn't happen.


    I wish i had working audio on this computer, so I could hear various kind of videos, but I don't, so all I can do is watch and hopefully they are funny even without the sound. Occasionally, I take my headphones to the library to listen to a video, that I wouldn't be able to hear otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you might consider posting a note at church, asking if anyone has an "old" computer they wouldn't mind donating to a worthy cause.

    i did this at work and i got a bunch of of old computers that, seperately didn't work that well, but when pulled apart and pieced together gave me two computers that work great. as a result i not only got two FREE computers (with audio) but also learned how to rebuild computers.

    now, rebuilding compputers might be a little tough for some, but once you have a bunch of parts laying around its kind of like legos. plus there might be some techy at work or church willing to show of his skills... 14 yr old geeks are great for this!

    just my thoughts, kev-0!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks C. great ideas...tell the wife hi.

    ReplyDelete