Monday, March 21, 2011

Frugal Tip 35: Breakfast

Earlier this year, I started posting a more in depth look at each of the frugal tips. Over the next few weeks I will publish the frugal tips that I have collected. Please note that not every tip will work for everyone. Chose as many of the tips that will work with you and your family and start implementing them. Today we will proceed with Tip #35 Do not eat cold cereals, eat oatmeal instead.
I know, I know I don't like the idea myself either. However, it is a tip some frualists push. The idea is based on some simple facts. Cold cereal as well as bacon, eggs, sausage, etc cost more then a box of oatmeal. Therefore, the most frugal breakfast is to eat hot oatmeal everyday.
Now when we say oatmeal we aren't talking a box of packets of oatmeal. That would be a convenience item is more expensive. We are talking about a real box of oatmeal. Where you would have to measure out the amount of oatmeal you want to cook.
Cut out all prepared, cold breakfast cereals. Instead use Oatmeal, grits or other hot cereals. These are better for us and are really easy to fix. Your family can "decorate" them to their tastes and your family's budget. My family loves oatmeal with butter and jelly or grits with butter and a bit of grated cheese.
- Frugal Village

Other ideas could include:
  1. Use frozen concentrates, rather then expensive juices
  2. Plan a menu with the same few breakfasts repeated through out the week
  3. Buy some chickens and have some homegrown eggs!
  4. Grow a garden, plant fruit trees,


--- go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think. follow me on Twitter and facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment