Saturday, December 26, 2009

Blizzard 2009

With the blizzard of 2009 many people around the area and the country had their holiday plans changed. Thankfully my big Christmas trip was the early this year, day before the blizzard started. The storm was officially called a blizzard by the weather service and was a Christmas Day record. In 1895, a Christmas day snow recorded 3 inches of snow. This year Christmas day recorded more then 4 inches, adding that to the snow that came on Christmas eve, this area seen a combined total accumulation of 8.8 inches. More snow is expected today and tomorrow yet.

As I said, with all that holiday travel was altered for many people. My parents were among them. They didn't make the 90 mile trek to my sisters. My soon to be step daughter didn't cross town to spend Christmas with her mom and me. Of course there was hundreds more throughout the Midwest possibly thousands that heeded advice and just stayed in. Of course there was hundreds of others that got out anyway. Many of them ended up getting stuck on side streets or parking lots that weren't plowed or treated. Even police cruisers weren't immune to getting stuck. There were a number of reports of private citizens coming to the aid of the police, so they could get moving again.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
-----

follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment