Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Wasteful Spending Needs To Be Controlled

It has been a while since I have updated my progress towards being debt free. I still am confident that I will make it this year. However, I am the type of person that tends to like to spend, in fact some would call my type of spending as "petty spending."

For example, Friday night, I was going to buy toilet paper (on sale $3.88), scrub brush ($4.99), 3 packages of dishwasher soap (on sale $3.98 each) and scrub pads ($1). The total came to just over $20. I only had $9 in my account so I had to put back 2 of the packages of dishwasher soap. Since, I still had TP at home I put the 9 roll package back. Finally, the biggest want rather then need was the 4.99 scrub brush. This is one of those brushes that you fill with dish soap, so that it will dispense as you need the soap. I think it might save money, but do I really need it? In the end, because of my balance on the debit card, I only spent $5.36, but had the money been there I would have had some real wasteful spending.

I really need to change my spending habits. I have made great strides over the last 3 years in reducing this debt, but now that spending needs to change.

Perhaps, my trip to New York City is a little premature, but I am going to reward myself for these 3-years of sacrificing. This week, I canceled my side trip to the FDR museum in Hyde Park, NY. The reason was the train schedule back into New York City. It would be 2:30 or 3:00 before I got back, thus wasting a full day on the train. Meaning, it would be almost impossible to spend do much of anything in NYC that day. It means my dream of visiting all 13 Presidential Libraries and Museums will be delayed, but that is the breaks. However, I think I will now be able to see both Rockefeller Center and the Empire State Building.

One of the most recent changes, I have added, to keep you informed is, using twitter to update my status updates on Facebook as well as Twitter. This will help me keep you informed even when I don't have enough to post about.
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment