Thursday, March 26, 2009

Buying Groceries At Auction?

Last night, I was reading Tricia's Blogging Away Debt. In the post dated yesterday, she talked about an article, that she found on Yahoo News. Like her, I had not really heard much on the subject the article was talking about, but I was intrigued and went to the article for more information.

As consumers seek relief from the recession and spiraling food prices, grocery auctions are gaining in popularity as an easy way to cut costs. The sales operate like regular auctions, but with bidders vying for dry goods and frozen foods instead of antiques and collectibles. Some auctioneers even accept food stamps.
- Yahoo

Hmmm, OK, so I have seen an auction have such an auction for a close out of a store or restaurant, but nothing on a regular basis as the article suggests.

The increased interest has fueled growth in the auctions, which can be found in at least nine states from Oklahoma to New York.
- Yahoo


I am not sure how popular they really are. I didn't find any of these auctions (in a search on the internet) in my area or even in the New York area.

If I could find one, it would be interesting to check out. I have known for a long time that there are month (even years) of life left to food after the sell by date. So, I am not afraid of that. Even the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said that in the same article.

Some of the goodies have wound up here because they're out-of-date. But the auctioneers stress that they're still OK to eat. The Food and Drug Administration does not generally prohibit the sale of food past its sell-by or use-by date — manufacturers' terms that help guide the rotation of shelf stock or indicate the period of best flavor or quality.
- Yahoo

There you have it. Best flavor or quality, NOT, spoiled. It is a shame to waste such good food. That reminds me, I need to drive to North Topeka and check out the grocery surplus (if it's still open).
-----
follow me on Twitter
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment