Tuesday, March 17, 2009

5 Ways To Save Money

This morning, I happened to watch "American Morning" on CNN, instead of my usual news sources. So, this morning Jeff Yeager, author "The Ultimate Cheapskate," discussed the five things families can do to save up to $20,000 per year. I eagerly awaited to hear if any of the advice would apply to me. Being a 40-year old single guy, but I laughed at the $20,000 bit. I lived for much of my life with a total income of less then 20k.


1. Get rid of your cell phone.
Well, he claimed the average monthly bill was $100+. That seems high to me. I have 1000 minutes, that I never, ever go over and only pay about $40/month which might get up to $55 on occasion once the taxes and other fees are added.

2. Get rid of your second or third car.
Well I only have one car, and would ride public transportation, if there was better public transit in this little city on the Kaw. I have considered getting a second vehicle (a pickup) so I could haul recycling again. Even thought, of getting a van and offering some curbside recycling for a few neighbors and friends. However, my main concern with the 2nd vehicle, is if the recycling would make it cost effective. I however, could not fathom three vehicles.

3. Stop eating out.
Makes total sense. Even Dave Ramsey encourages people that are in debt to stop eating out. It is a proven fact that you can eat your own food at home cheaper then purchasing food made by someone else and even the cheapest local dive.

4. Stop buying new clothes.
I have been considering doing this for a while now. I even found a video (actually a series of youTube videos) that discuss this very thing.




5. Don’t pay for college room and board. Seems like a great idea, but what if the state college is 100 (or more) miles away? As would be the case for many here in Kansas.





---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment