Friday, March 27, 2009

2 weeks in - How Am I doing?

Two weeks ago, I made a commitment not to buy any groceries (except milk and eggs) until after my trip to New York. I did have several readers concerned I wouldn't be eating enough veggies. I certainly have plenty of vegetables in my cupboards. Usually, I just open a can of corn, baked beans, pork & beans, or peas and either fry, bake, or mash some potatoes.

Last night though, I fixed up a box of Au Gratin potatoes (yes I love potatoes), a can of peas and fried a hamburger patty that I had in the freezer. The only basic 4 food group not represented was bread, in my dinner. Although, I did have a bowl of instant oatmeal for my breakfast yesterday morning.

Likewise this morning, I will also have a bowl of oatmeal. Think, I might take left over Au Gratin potatoes and peas to work with me. Not sure what I will fix (or heat up) tonight though. Will worry about that after work.

I did have 3 times in the past 2 weeks, when I broke my commitment and ate out. Went to chick-fil-a on Monday and got a chicken sandwich, yesterday, I went to a meeting over lunch at Perkins and ate their "classic egg" breakfast and as I mentioned on Twitter last week, I ate lunch at McDonald's one day.

My cupboards are getting barer, I have about:
  • 19 envelopes of instant oatmeal
  • 7 boxes of Au Gratin potatoes
  • 7 cans of baked beans
  • 2 cans pork & beans
  • 9 cans peas
  • 2 cans cream corn
  • 1 can corn
  • 4 cans of yams
  • 3 cans cranberry sauce
  • 1 jar apple sauce
  • 5 jars peanut butter
  • 1 can large Lima butter beans
  • 1 jar grape jelly
  • 1 jar homemade pear honey
  • 1 can fruit cocktail
  • 8 cans condensed tomato soup


  • and that's not mentioning the unopened box of pancake mix or the bit of macaroni noodles I have. So I should have plenty of food to get me through past the target end date. One thing, I have done, is not open another can, until I finish the leftovers of the previous can of vegetables.

    -----
    follow me on Twitter
    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment