Saturday, March 31, 2007

Wasted $20

Today, I wasted $20. I took a vacation day today and promptly wasted $20 tonight. Well, OK so it wasn't all wasted. I spent $4.45 for some sale items at the store (TV dinners - limit 6 - 69 cents each) getting $20 back. Then went to Aldi's and picked some sausage biscuits and eggs spending $3.35 of that 20. I then went across the street to a store with milk on sale for $1.99 to pick up a gallon of 2%, spending another $2.14 of that $20.
Then it was time to go see the movie (Peaceful Warrior) with the free tickets I had printed off at the public library (as mine here at the house is out of ink). Along the way, I stopped and bought a Chicken sandwich at my favorite fast food joint, Chick-fil-a. There goes anther $3. Then I couldn't (or rather didn't) keep spending in check at the theater, buying a $4 (small) popcorn and a $4 (large) Coke. After the movie wasn't any better as I dropped the remaining $3 into an arcade game.
Not very smart of me I know, but that is why John Cummuta says not to ask for cash back at the register for any reason. You tend to forget where that extra $20 was actually spent.

4 comments:

  1. You didn't waste 20 bucks. You just spent a little on entertainment. I can't go 1 place without spending that. Don't beat yourself up over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he only takes home $1100 a month, $20 for him is a huge amount. Consider it this way, that means he makes about $50/day take home.
    If he spent that much everyday like you or even once a week he would be overspending. His utilities take up way to much of his income and then throw in his debt, he really doesn't have much to live on.
    For him, spending $20 was very wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try not to be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes. As long as we learn from them--that is the trick!

    Now that I read your post, Im glad I never made it to see that "free" movie--sounds like it wasn't worth my time.

    Next weekend is a chance to redeem yourself. And movies are meant for sneaking in the treats--not buying there : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. robert,
    You have a point, but the spending part of the equation isn't the "problem."

    ReplyDelete