Saturday, March 17, 2007

Is Getting A Tax Deduction On Donations A Sin?

As we continue our count down to our 1 year blogaversary, we take a look at another article published in the past year. This article was originally published on July 21, 2006. This article was both controversial and thought provoking by some. Without further ado, here is "Is Getting A Tax Deduction On Donations A Sin?"

I know, not all my readers are Christians. I also know that not all Christians will agree with me here. However, ever since my days of serving in full time ministry, I have read the scriptures and wondered why so many pastors go with the way of the world here. Let me try to explain as plainly and concisely as possible.

Do I believe getting a tax deduction for a donation is a sin? Well maybe that's a little harsh, but it got your attention and peeked your interest in this article, and that is what I wanted.
Should we deduct our donations on our taxes? Well that is where, I don't believe we should. Why? Because of what scripture says.


"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. "But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. - Matthew 6:2-4 (NAS)



You see when I read that and then look at the tax forms, are we not in some way, by placing it on the piece of paper, bragging to the government? In affect saying, "Hey look at how good I am. I gave away all this money. Now reward me." To which the government does, giving you part of that amount as a tax break. Thus as God said in his word you were honored by men (or in this case the Government) and thus not entitled to your reward in Heaven.

Ok, as I said, I know it's controversial and I have heard many people try to argue why we should be able to, but none of them could base their argument from the Bible. Legally, yes the U. S. Government has set this up as acceptable, but is it acceptable from the the perspective of the Bible?

6 comments:

  1. Of course getting a tax deduction for donations is not a sin. As a Christian, I am under "grace" and not the "law". Jesus was pointing out the hypocrisy of the Pharisees, and magnifying the importance of giving from a "charitable heart". It is silly to try to compare "boasting about charity" to "getting a tax deduction". The "government" is not some person to whom I'm saying, "Hey, look at me! I'm a great giver." No, the gov't recognizes (in the only way that it CAN) that charitable organizations are "beneficial" for soiciety. So, the gov't realizes that ANY money that I donate, by definition, ceases to be "personal income" and becomes a "charitable gift." It only makes sense that I would not have to pay taxes on income that I did not USE (for personal purchases...) God wants us to be wise, good managers of our finances. The verse you mention speaks to the "why" of our giving... and it has NOTHING to do with whether you have to pay taxes (or not) on the money that you give. It is DANGEROUS to "read into" a text...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Christian and I strongly believe and look to God for my rewards for charitable giving and tithing. Consequently, we didn't add our tithes and offerings to itemized deductions this year.

    It might sound naive and foolish but, we don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't see deductions as rewards. i see them as addressing important social issues (such as poverty) cheaper and more directly than the government can. so if you give a hundred dollars to the food bank, the government will have that much less work to do. they aren't rewarding you so much as refunding the cost of doing this work with your tax money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. exactly JW hit what I was meaning when I posted. You get the financial reward here on earth and God said if we are rewarded on earth he won't reward us in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I don't see a tax deduction as a "reward." It's more like a "reduction in punishment."

    Even though I am not Christian, I agree with the part about not "bragging" about donations. I think if one values where he puts his money, he doesn't need to announce it to the world. he doesn't need to receive satisfaction from others acknowledging it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Putting a number on a confidential tax document that is not available to the public is hardly 'sounding a trumpet'. Quite the opposite, filing a tax return is one of the more secret things we do. In fact, I think that any non-profit organization is required to submit your donation to the IRS, so unless you do all your giving in cash the IRS has already found you out.

    My personal belief is that the vast majority of Christ's teachings are on attitudes and motiviations rather than on the actual physical examples he gives. If your motivation for making a donation is solely to get the tax deduction, that is probably not a good thing. If you are prideful about NOT taking the tax deduction, that is also probably not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete