Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Reader Survey: Sneaking Food Into the Movies


As I was going through through the various other personal finance blogs, I came across an interesting post, Is it Ethical to Sneak Food/Drink into a Movie Theater?, by Free Money Finance. With 50% of Americans admitting they sneak food (an/or drinks) into a movie theater, I though it would be an interesting topic to address here. It is a topic, I would love to hear your opinion on to.

As Free money stated, it can cost you a fortune to go the movies. First you have the cost of the ticket(s) then you have the cost of those snacks. Four dollars, for a small popcorn, that would cost $1.50 over at the deli inside Target. Boxes of candy are sold for $4, even though you could buy the same boxes in your local grocery store for $1-$1.25.

I have to admit there has been times that I have taken food into a movie theater or other venue, that tries to keep you from bringing in outside food. With the high cost of food and drinks at these events, why would pay more then a reasonable cost? While I have never sneaked drinks into a movie theater, since they serve their beverages in cups, I have sneaked cokes into local sporting events, that sell 20 oz bottles for about twice what they are on the outside. Sure, they have signs, saying outside food/drinks are prohibited, but once inside, how are they going to know if I paid $1.25 or $2.50 for that coke? as you can see, it is very economical, even frugal to sneak food in into these venues; but, is it ethical? Moral?


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

4 comments:

  1. We "sneak" candy and drinks in to the theater. I always bring my big "mommy" purse and we stop by the gas station and fill up on candy for $0.88 each and then we bring in bottles of soda or the aluminum cans. If you bring the cans you have to time opening them with a really loud noise. lol. I can't say that we feel bad about it. It's $3.50 for a regular coke there. No way am I paying that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI! If the theater or stadium has signs that say NO outside food or drink than it is wrong. You are choosing to go there, therefore choosing to abide by there rules. I found a theater that allows outside food. We go there now.

    I know theaters charge alot. I paid $93 to take me and 5 kids to movies in the day, they each got 1 snack only. This is something I will never do again. But still if you have to sneak the food in you already know it is wrong.

    Have snacks before you go or find a place that does not mind outside snacks. But my kids are watching and if they see a sign that says no outside food and I have a purse full, then they think it is ok not to follow rules. This is not worth it to me.

    Mostly now we rent a movie and watch it at home with lots of our own snacks. My kids like this alot too. -Becky in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do NOT use the Anonymous setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about it. Becky is right technically, but rules are made to be broken ( and I hope my kids learn how to determine this and not just be sheep).

    If anything you are doing the theater a favor. At least I know I am ( and I can honestly say I know way more about business than the businesses that make stupid rules).

    See the theaters see it this way: If they let me bring in a snack, then they lose money because I dont buy their concessions.

    But they are wrong. I am not going to buy their overpriced junk anyway. I have the discipline not to buy it, and I don't particularly like their offerings.

    The most likely scenario is that A. I am going to buy a ticket and bring in food. or B. I am not going to buy a ticket and stay home. With the other option of complying and not bringing in food AND not buying their junk either.

    There is no scenario where they are going to "make" me buy their stuff. They are going to make the same amount of money off me whether I bring food in or not. Or they can make zero.

    Unless there is some huge demand for their tickets where every show sells out in advance and an overwhelming majority of customers waste money on their terrible food, it would behoove them to accept my money for the tickets and allow me to have an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, no only do they not make $$$ from the food- money that they had zero opportunity to make in the first place. They also lost the ticket.

    I am sure they make more money on the concessions, but they make a great deal of profit selling my ticket(s). In fact I would say the marginal profit is almost 100%. The only real cost is printing another ticket. The ticket seller and ushers are being paid whether I'm there or not. The movie is playing with or without me, and my seat is taking up space.

    ReplyDelete