Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cleaning Is Hard


Even though, I don't consider myself to be one, some might consider me to be a pack rat. I get something in the mail, and often times fail to get them put where they belong. Or maybe, I get something and I think I could use it. Only to never look at it again. Then, when I am do some massive cleaning, I wonder why I ever kept it.

MapGirl recently discussed the same problem. Well sorta, she seems to keep everything in its place, but feels she save things needlessly.
I’m learning how to be more ruthless throwing stuff away. I’ve watched my boyfriend clean up his house. He’s extremely tidy. He doesn’t keep paper around. He shreds it or throws it away immediately. He does not sweat the small stuff. I think the only receipts he saves are for taxes. If it’s not tax deductible, returnable or otherwise important, out it goes. It makes me wonder why I keep every single damned receipt I ever got.

After reading her comments, I got to thinking about my own house. I often complain, that it is messy and i need to clean up. John Cummuta and Dave Ramsey have been great encouragement to get my financial life cleaned up. Will MapGirl's comments be the wake up call I need to move to other areas of my life and get them cleaned up to?

Is it true that people with cluttered lives have a cluttered financial life to? I don't know. It certainly has been for me. However, now that I am getting my financial life in order, it is time to work on my cluttered house. Work on getting those bank statements into their proper location to be kept, as soon as I get it. Instead of putting it off, by saying, "I'll take care of it later," because as we all know, later never comes.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Babysteps. You can do anything for 15 min. at a time.

    Set a timer and declutter for only 15 min. a day. It will get clean. Plus you may find things you can sell or post on freecycle. If you have not used it or touched it in a year, out it goes!!!!

    With freecycle you may bless someone who needs that item and declutter your house at the same time.

    Check out www.flylady.com, they help with decluttering and such!

    Also lists really help me, in very simple steps (i.e.-empty sink, dry dishes, wipe down counters; it helps me from getting distracted.)

    And music while I clean and declutter helps me alot too.
    -Becky in NJ

    ReplyDelete