Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Repairs, Repairs and more Repairs

Today has been a day of repairs. This past weekend I spent $30 for a new bathroom exhaust fan. When I bought the house, that thing needed to be replaced and I kept putting it off. Well, today it was installed, at a cost of $118 to the electrician. The old one had its own light switch. That one was disconnected, and the new one was wired to the light, so that it came on when I turned on the lights. As a result, a plate cover was also placed over the the whole where the removed light switch had been.

I then went to an appliance place and bought a part for my washing machine ($52). That part, I will try to install myself. It is the water valve, that regulates the water flow into the machine. Simply put, it involves taking the back off the machine. Turning off the water and disconnecting the hoses and unplugging the machine. Then I simply remove the two wires from the old valve and reconnect the new on in its place. Sounds simple enough, and I won't have to pay the $90 for the appliance repairman to come out.

Next on my list, is getting the bathroom door fixed so it doesn't drag on the floor. Previous attempts of doing it myself has failed, as within weeks it is doing the same thing again. Time to bring in the professional, estimated cost $50-$100.

I also need to paint the ceiling and trim work. Then getting someone that can place the bathroom tile that I received through freecycle.org.

Finally, I need to purchase a new toilet and get it installed. The new toilet will have greater flush capacity and won't clog as much. Thus ending some of the problems that have begun to develop. Thankfully, so far, I have been able to fix most of those clogs myself with a plunger, but with the age of the toilet, better to be proactive and replace it before the major problems develop. Besides the seat is falling apart to.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

2 comments:

  1. You might also need to snake your toilet line, I had to in my old house after a backup. Cost $185 for plumber visit. No fun!
    Also is door swollen, sometimes the heat does that to wood. Just a thought.
    Also Home Depot & Loews' have free how to clinics that might help you with house stuff. -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to check that out to.

    no, the hinges won't stay tight to the door frame. Hoping I don't have to get new door and frame. Especially, since I have the old antique doors, I would prefer to keep that look.


    I also forgot to include that I spent $7.20 to replace a torn screen.

    ReplyDelete