Sunday, July 13, 2008

Birthday Thoughts

Today marks a milestone in my life. It is the day that I turn 40. I am excited about turning 40, but it hasn't always been that way. There has been times that I have been depressed, sometimes depressed enough that I wanted to kill myself. However, I always knew there was so much more to live for.

I was depressed to that point, because none of my hopes, dreams and goals had been achieved. I never in my wildest imaginations had ever thought I would still be single at 35 let alone 40. My goals included being an accomplished writer before I was 30. In addition, I planned to be elected to Congress by this time as well. Well, suffice to say those goals and dreams never materialized. I am at a job, that 5 years ago, I hated, but now love. I have virtually no savings, from years of trying to impress everyone else by buying stuff, I couldn't afford and didn't need.

Which means, now, I am working hard to pay off my debts, so that I can build that savings. In the past few years, I have achieved small goals. Especially over the last 2-years. I have moved up the ranks at work. Not only that, but I have seen my debts move in a downward trend, while my net worth has slowly and steadily increased. I expect to have all of my debts paid off before I turn 41 next year. A goal, as long I remain steadfast I should accomplish by June next year, at the latest. So heres to the past 40 years and to a terrific future, as I start down the other side of the hill.

My plans today, include a long hard day at work. Dinner, at I-Hop (with a friend) and possibly culminating the evening by going to my first ever roller derby match. A match between Topeka's own Capital City Crushers and Wichita's ICT.

I would like to thank those who have commented on this blog, on the blog at liveJournal, on Facebook and over at MySpace.
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

5 comments:

  1. Life rarely goes as we plan. I never expected to be 28, (almost 29) divorced, and raising two awesome boys alone. I do know that I am thankful that our God is a God of second chances (and third and fourth and so on and on.) Again Happy Birthday! -Becky in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 40, healthy, almost debt free, be thankful, things could always be worse.

    Remember, the best is yet to come!!

    Happy Birthday!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belated Happy Birthday Kevin and you just remember that 40 is the new 30 so you have another ten years before you need to worry about being over the hill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Representing the fine state of Kansas, Senator Surbaugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on turning 40!

    ReplyDelete