Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Glasses Repaired, Only A Small bite to my Budget

This morning I made my rounds getting some errands done. I went by the credit union and withdrew some money from my "Emergency/Insurance savings." Once I had some cash in hand along with a cashiers check for the insurance company, I went to North Topeka and paid my quarterly insurance premium that this year is now $347.10. From there, I went out to the eye glass place that I prefer. They are certainly beyond doubt a budget eye glass place. With frames running from $29.99-$99.99, the frames are without question cheaper then other companies $99-$1,000. I mean, who needs glasses that cost $1,000?

Anyway upon arriving at Success Vision Express, there were several people browsing and looking over the glasses. I took a seat at the counter and waited for an available representative to come to me. When she came over, I handed her my glasses and told her I needed frames to fit my current lenses. After looking up my previous visit (in 2004) she went to the wall got the same frame as my broken ones, made the necessary repairs and charged me $29.99.

It was $30 that wasn't in my budget, but the other places would have charged me half my paycheck, if they made the repair at all. Thank you Jesus.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just thought I would ask, what is the quarterly insurance payment covering? It seems extremely high to me.

    I first thought car insurance, but I pay every six months for full coverage $165. Then I thought maybe home owners and auto insurance - but my home owners is $500 and from what you have said, your home is not ritzy-titzy, so I would expect a smaller payment.

    Is this possibly health insurance?

    Maybe you need to price check around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dedicated -

    thanks for the comment. My health insurance is through work and is bout $17/week, though next year it will go up $6/week.


    The quarterly rates I mentioned is for property (full coverage) Auto and house. Both with a $500 deductible.

    Once the car is paid off and I build and maintain my emergency fund, I will raise those deductibles to $1,000.

    The rates shot up about 3 months ago. It was shocking, but practically everyone with that company seen some kind of increase. My increase was about $60/quarter. I am hopeful, that I can soon change it to semi-annual, and thus drop the quarterly fees that the company charges for that "privilege" (I think an additional $4/quarter).

    ReplyDelete