Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Being Green and Your Pocketbook

This week NBC is busy making political statements about our environment. They have kicked off a week where their news and sports programs studio lights will be turned down low (supposedly) and each of their programing having "green" themes. Even Friday nights Deal or No Deal, will have Kermit the Frog promoting his, "it's easy to be green," message.

As for me I have adopted a number of the "green" practices, but I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist. No, as those of you who know me or have read this blog regularly I don't believe in all the hype about global warming (which just a few years ago, was global cooling). For me, my interest is more for the green I save in my pocketbook.

Like everything else with personal finance, it tends to be common sense. People often try to make it harder then it is, but it's really not that difficult (in theory anyway). The most difficult aspect is just sticking to it.
For example:
  • Turning off the lights when you aren't in a room.
  • changing the light bulbs in your home (or workplace) to the compact florescent lights (CFL's).
  • Insulating your home
  • Caulking around the windows.

    As you can see each of those are common sense green activities that "help the environment," but more importantly save you money. Which means more money to put in your savings.

    Something else that I have begun more recently is using the cloth bags for my groceries when I go shopping. How does that save money? It saves the grocery store from having to buy the bags that you would have used and ultimately will effect the grocery prices. Further, the plastic bags are cheaper for the store, but it takes 10 billion barrels of oil (according to a recent NBC report) every year to make the plastic bags. This means an increased demand on oil, which then translates to higher oil and gas prices. The oil prices alone, makes me want to do everything I can to reduce my dependence on oil.
  • 1 comment: