Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sell of Underperforming Stock Doubles Money

The other day, when I interviewed Cody Willard, Rebecca Diamond and Eric Bolling I asked Cody about Pier 1 (PIR). Willard said
I can't give stock advice directly, but how about this? I don't own it.

The stock had been bellow $1/share for some time. Then came last Thursday, the day I posted the interview. The stock soared up 50 cents to close at $1.45. Finally, the stock was above $1. It was about time. Do I continue holding? Or do I sell. I decided to hedge and put in a stop-loss order.
For, those unfamiliar with a stop-loss, that means I put in a sell order to only enact if the stock goes down. If the stock goes up, I continue holding onto my shares. My stop-loss order was for $1.44. Allowing it to drop only 1 cent. Thankfully, on Friday it went up again. Closing at $1.70. I placed a new stop-loss order for $1.68. This time allowing it to drop 2 cents, before I cut and ran.
Monday came, and the stock fell. Closing the day at $1.47. I however had sold my 142 shares at $1.68. That means my initial $64 (+8 commission) investment became $228.73 (after the $9.95 sell commission).

$228 wont go very far, and for now it remains in my Sharebuilder money market account. Now, do I make a new investment, as I work towards owning a piece of every publicly traded retail company? Or do I cash out that money and use it to pay down my car loan? One thing for sure, I will have to save enough to pay the tax implications.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.
-----
follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment