Thursday, April 16, 2009

New York - Awesome!

statue of Liberty

My 1st full day in New York went pretty quick. At least the first half. I awoke at 6 AM, which is later then normal for me, but after being awake for over 24 hours, with nothing more then a few cat naps, here and there, that's understandable.

After showering and eating breakfast, I went to Rockefeller Center. Where I seen both the Empire State building and Chrysler building from the observation deck. After that, i was on my way over to the Empire State Building to view the Chrysler building and "The Rock," from their observation deck. Not to mention the view of Central Park from that high up on both buildings. Even though, I hate heights, I loved the great view that both provided. Surprisingly I was through both of them by 10 AM. What eventually slowed me down and took up most of the rest of my day, was the huge line for the Statue of Liberty. After nearly two-hours, I was through security and on board the ferry boat to Liberty Island. The view of the the Statue of Liberty from that close was amazing.

After that, I was heading out to see Grant's tomb, but took the wrong train. Realizing that, if I continued, I would be late for the Fox Business Network's "Happy hour" program, over at the Bull & Bear at the Waldorf. Arriving before the bar even opened, I walked around the magnificent hotel, looking at the beauty of such a prestigious hotel. Eventually, I learned that the program was being moved back to the studio that day, because some kind of technical problem with the equipment (it was popping and smoking). So I went back to the hotel, which unfortunately had FOX-TV but not FBN. I would try again on Tuesday. I have to get that interview that I was promised with Rebekkah, Cody and Eric.

One thing, that I had wanted to see while in New york, was Ground Zero. I however, as I walked to my hotel from the subway, I quickly learned that I would not have to make a special trip. My hotel was in the Financial Center (what a perfect place for a financial blogger). That means every day to get between the subway and my hotel, I would have to use the pathway constructed over the top of the construction taking place where the World Trade Center was, before that tragic day nearly 8-years ago. I hope we as Americans never forget that day.

Back to the hotel, I made a point to go across the street and walk through the Irish Hunger Memorial. It looked nice and all, but more could have been done to let visitors know what it was and what it was about. Something, I will write more about on my travel blog, when I get back.

My second day, I started the day, by going way out to nowhere (tourist speaking) to view what is the largest tomb in America. The tomb, of a great Civil war General and President of the United States. Ulysses S. Grant. While there, I asked one of the park rangers, how the question of who's buried in Grant's Tomb got started. It seems the joke is only from the 1950's and was started by Groucho Marx. Who would ask the question at the end of his game show. The answer is that no one really is buried there as both Grant and his wife are above ground (as they are entombed rather the buried), however an acceptable answer would be Grant or Grant and his wife. It really was a trick question and there was never any doubt who was buried (or entombed) there.

Of course, I couldn't go to New York without seeing Times Square. Actually, I wasn't even planning to, but the transfer point in the subway (on my way to Trump Tower) was Times Square. So I thought what the heck, and went upstairs (above ground) and looked around. Then I was on my way again, to get a few pictures of Trump Towers, which is located on 5th Avenue. As I left there, I noticed a huge line of people, waiting to be admitted into someplace. Curious as to what the attraction was, I began looking. Turns out it wasn't an attraction per se. Rather, it was a huge store...Abercrombie Finch.

I spent the rest of the day at the hotel preparing for my interview. About 3 PM, I left for the Bull & Bear Bar and Restaurant at the Waldorf. I wanted to arrive (at 4) about an hour before the show began (at 5). Which, I did, and you will be seeing the interview here, later this afternoon.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.
-----
follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment