Monday, September 8, 2008

From Vandalism to Golf Sized Hail


Last night, I came home from work after 10 hours at work, to find someone had painted graffiti and thrown paint on my shed. Before, I called the police to report it, I checked with a neighbor and found out that they had seen it, and had called the police, when it was happening. Her son, knew 2 of the 3 kids involved.

I then called, with the information that I had, and was told that the earlier officer didn't make a report because it was water colors. Apparently, as I explained to the dispatcher, he ignored the can of wall paint that was just thrown on the shed. After, the officer arrived (an officer I happened to know personally) we determined that several little bottles of paint (all the paint containers were left here) weren't water colors, but model paint. Yes, there were the water colors, but that was a very small part of the paint.

The officer, then went across the ally and talked with the kid that lived the closest. The kid (age 9) and his father came back over and the father and officer talked to the kid, exposing the lies the kid had told his father. He had told dad, that some kids threw paint at him. Eventually, the other 2 kids (ages 10 & 11) were found in the park (across the street from where the 9 year old lives) and were brought over and their parents were called. Eventually, the kids were informed how serious it was, and how charges could be charged against them, but that the owner (me) was be nice and would make them clean up their mess. They then went to work last night in using paint thinner to wipe off excess paint and then paint over the area with paint primer. The kid across the ally's father said his son would be back tonight to put a second coat on it.

Then this morning, I was awaken by the weather radio, a severe storm warning was being issued for a storm that was right over my area of town. The rain was already coming down pretty good, but the weather bureau said quarter sized hail was possible with this storm. Not long after, I started seeing pea sized hail. Thinking the we had escaped the worst, I moved own to other things. However, a few minutes later I started hearing huge thuds. Going back to the door, I see that there was gold ball sized hail in my yard. The weather gal on the TV later said, that there had been reports of hail the size hen eggs (about 2" in diameter). Since, it is still dark out, I have not been out to see if there was any damage. Hopefully, there wasn't.


***UPDATE: After, it became light outside, I went out and looked at my car and found only one small dent in the roof of my car. Thankfully, it wasn't worse then that. ****
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got lucky with the graffiti on the shed - I would guess you live in a smaller town (though I could be wrong). If it happened to me I doubt the vandals would be caught and I'd probably have to paint the shed myself. Its a shame that kids turn to these types of activities for entertainment.

    Good to hear your car survived the hail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt -
    Topeka is fairly big, with 125,000 people, 4 TV stations (NBC, ABC, CBS & FOX) and a number of radio stations. I think the only reason they got caught was because they were so young, were seen in broad daylight around 11 or noon.

    Usually the graffiti vandals aren't seen and we just end up painting over the stuff, but this went beyond regular graffiti and took more time. Even though they caused much more damage, no one really thinks these kids were really trying to be destructive.

    ReplyDelete