Thursday, September 4, 2008

Finance Fiesta #13 - Bank Troubles & Money Management

I am particularly excited to be hosting my first carnival. Especially one that is still young, the Finance Fiesta #13. Especially since 13 is my favorite number, and is also the date of my birth (July 13). So, without much further ado, lets get to the carnival.

Editors Pick
Earlier this week, I wrote about ways to protect yourself, if your bank collapses. I even included some banks that are expected to be on that list. Well, Tanesha Morgan wrote about one of those banks, in her post Lay Offs Abound At HSBC Mortgage posted at Personal Finance Analyst.
Speaking of banks, Phil for Humanity gives us a Retirement Calculator <<> posted at Phil for Humanity, to help us determine if we have enough saved to retire.

However, Debt Repayment, is the key first move, if we want to retire successfully.
Del Sandeen presents 3 Reasons to Run from Debt Settlement Companies posted at Fiscal Liberty. While, I loosely follow the Dave Ramsey plan, who would disagree with much of she has to say, I have to agree with the reasons she gave. However, like Dave, I wonder why, if we aren't going to use credit anymore. Which brings us to
Responsible Use of Credit , Michael Geoffrey presents Why You Should Think Twice About Canceling A Credit Card posted at Debt Smackdown. Again, as a follower of Ramsey, I'm not sure I agree with him, but there are a variety of ideas and I have an open mind and will listen to the various thoughts.
Next, Jim brings us his » List of Cards with 0% Balance Transfer Offers for 12 Months posted at Blueprint for Financial Prosperity. I personally, did accept a 0% offer from a credit card company, and used it to transfer my fingerhut debt to it, so that I would ensure that I wouldn't have anymore interest, as get that debt paid off by the end of the year.
Our next look at credit cards, is a view from nickel who presents The Best Cash Back Reward Credit Card posted at fivecentnickel.com. While at the same time CreditAddict asked Are Frequent Flyer Credit Cards a Good Deal? posted at CreditAddict.

As we leave the world of credit cards, we move to the world of Money Management, where
AMIT GOYAL says we canhave NO MORE SHORT TERM CAPITAL GAIN TAX LIABLITY. posted at OM. Nezt up, Michael Cohen presents Short Squeeze On The Horizon For Luby?s (LUB)? posted at Stock Investment, in which he discusses his holding in the Texas based restaurant chain. I never ate there, but I remember a few years ago, when they had a restaurant here where I live in Kansas.

Now, lets move away from stocks to some meat and potatoes. BTG looks at Consistency: Good For Your Health and Your Money! | Bridging The Gaap posted at Bridging The Gaap. I would agree with you BTG, and I can positively say Dave Ramsey would be proud of your assessment to.
Now, for the article, I had the most fun reading. Perhaps, because of love of politics, but I found it very interesting. I also find it interesting, that I am editing this, while I have the convention on, much the same as LAL did, when she wrote Is $250k/year Rich? posted at LivingAlmostLarge.
Now, it wouldn't be a personal finance blog, if at some point there wasn't a post that took up the topic that William Blake presented, in his post, Discipline Yourself to Spend Less over at Becoming Debt Free. Next, Silicon Valley Blogger became the newest PF blogger to take a look WaMu Free Checking: The High 3.3% APY May Be Worth A Look posted at The Digerati Life. I made the plunge a few months back. I now use the debit card with that account, for my food budget. Instead of carrying one of Dave Ramsey's envelopes full of cash to the grocery store, I have this one debit card specificly funded, each payday for my groceries.

Now, to finish up with checking accounts Mr. Banker gives us a closer look at the ABA Routing Transit Number posted at Best Interest Rate Banks.



That brings us to today's Career related post as Cyberslacking tools presents Cyberslacking tools on-line posted at Glowicki ProBlogger - Blogging Tips. Are you a cyber slacker? As a boss in my workplace, I would hope not, because you are paid to work, not surf the net.
Finally, our last post, didn't fit any of the other categories us with
The Smarter Wallet's presentation of 7 Frugal Tips To Clean and Care For Your Clothes posted at The Smarter Wallet.

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting and great carnival and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for agreeing with me lol. Consistency is key to acheiving financial goals!

    http://www.btgnow.net/2008/08/consistency-good-for-your-health-and-your-money/

    http://www.btgnow.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Carnival! Thanks for hosting. :-)

    ReplyDelete