Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas or Holiday

by Kevin Surbaugh

I have complained a number of times about stores trying to sell Holiday Decorations rather then Christmas Decorations. They claim that they don't want to offend anyone. In the process they offend the people who celebrate Christmas. My argument has always been if you don't want to offend anyone, then start selling the Menorah's that those who celebrate Hanukkah at this time of year.
Well a new website that I found makes the claim that such tactics also offend the very group of people that they want to more inclusive of.

Bring Back Christmasis a website quoting Ben Stein, a Jew who says they don't mind if Christmas decorations are called what they are. They have nothing to do with their beliefs anyway. Check out the site and see what you think for yourself.
I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejewelled trees, Christmas trees. I don’t feel threatened. I don’t feel discriminated against. That’s what they are, Christmas trees.

It doesn’t bother me a bit when people say, ‘Merry Christmas’ to me. I don’t think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn’t bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a crèche, it’s just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.
- Bring Back Christmas
So as we celebrate this most wonderful time of the year, lets remember that we are all made in His image and whether we celebrate Christmas of Hanukkah we can respect each others traditions. I for one as mentioned at the beginning get offended by calling Christmas Trees as Holiday Trees, but I don't mind the clerk at the store saying a generic Happy Holiday's, not knowing which day that the customer on the other side of the register celebrates. It is nice to know that Ben Stein isn't offended by Merry Christmas and agrees that calling a Christmas Tree a Holiday Tree is pretty stupid.



---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment