Friday, August 12, 2011

It's official, Rick Perry's in

Earlier this week my smartphone buzzed that there was a breaking story. I sleepily checked it, knowing many times the breaking story is who cares. Like a couple weeks ago when I was alerted that Jenifer was getting a divorce. I mean who cares, right? Hollywood folks are people like you and me. If that was breaking news what would the Challenger Explosion be considered? Anyway this time the alert said that a spokesman for Governor Rick Perry confirmed that he would make clear on Saturday that he would be running for President. Awesome!! I suspected as much, but now it's official I thought. Then yesterday I received another alert. It's official Perry will announce his intentions Saturday. What? Didn't I get this same alert like two days prior? Still though it was all over the local and national news last night. Then this mornings Austin American Statesman has the story. So perhaps I should share my thoughts. When I met the Governor last year at a book signing, something inside me told me that despite his denials that he would be a candidate for President. I mean four (4) years ago then Senator Hillary Clinton said that she was going to run either, before she stepped into the fray. In fact in the book signing line someone asked if I thought he would run and that was the very comment I said to that person. Now here we are eight (8) months later and my words are proving to be true.
The news broke Thursday afternoon, though it might have had a familiar ring to it. Gov. Rick Perry, The Associated Press reported in an afternoon news alert, is indeed running for president, as confirmed by Perry spokesman Mark Miner. Now, there's nobody left who believes Perry is not running for president. Just Monday, every news outlet, from the mainstream media to specialty blogs, reported that Perry will use Saturday's speech in South Carolina to eliminate any doubt that his future will include many trips to Iowa, New Hampshire and other early primary states - Austin American Statesman
Okay, so if we all know what his plans are what is the need for the announcement Saturday? Why hasn't the website been converted from his Governors campaign to his Presidential campaign?
Even Perry has stopped being coy about his plans. "My hope is that in four years, people could take a look at what we've done in Washington, D.C., and know that I have made Washington, D.C., less consequential in their lives," Perry said Thursday in an interview with a New Hampshire TV station. That interview was taped in KVUE's North Austin studios. Afterward, KVUE staffers presented Perry with a printout of the AP alert. The governor, sporting a broad smile, signed and dated the printout, then slipped out without further comment. The official confirmation of Perry for President gave the governor another day of headlines and breaking news alerts on cable TV. It ensured that news reports of Thursday night's Iowa debate among eight already announced GOP candidates will include at least one line about the looming presence of a certain Texan. More news will follow about Saturday's speech-slash-announcement. - Austin American Statesman
Now that Perry is in I can official say that I am a Perry supporter. I like the man. He was very personable with my wife and I when we met him last December and someone from his staff has answered my letters/emails to his office. That is more then can be said about the current President who seems to ignore most things that I am concerned with. I have tried to be diplomatic and not say anything negative about the current President, but time has come to focus on working to get an honest man elected President and i believe with all my heart that man is Rick Perry.
----------
My name is Kevin, and that's what I think. What do you think? Agree? Disagree?

follow me on Twitter




No comments:

Post a Comment