Monday, April 19, 2010

FTC Reports Top Consumer Complaints

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently released their annual list of the top complaints filed by consumers in 2009. It shows that while identity theft remains the number one (1) category, identity theft complaints declined 5 percentage points from the 2008 list.

However, the most telling is the number two (2) category. That being, Debt Collection, with a total of 119,549 complaints, amounting to 9% of all complaints the FTC received.

Interesting, because the very day I heard this report on the noon news, I had been awaken by a debt collector (on my only day off) at 8:55 AM. This collector claimed that they were calling in regards to a radiology bill from a few months back. When I calmly told them, that federal law requires them to put it in writing. They responded by telling me to stop yelling and started with a barrage of comments, not allowing me a chance to speak.

A perfect example of what Dave Ramsey says of how collectors will do anything to invoke emotion in you.


The Top 15 complaint categories (in 2009) were:

  1. Identity Theft
  2. Third Party and Creditor Debt Collectors
  3. Internet Services
  4. Shop-at-home and catalog sales
  5. Foreign Money Offers

  6. Internet Auctions

  7. Credit Cards

  8. Prizes, Sweepstakes and Lotteries

  9. Advance-Fee Loans and Credit Protection/Repair

  10. Banks and Lenders

  11. Credit Bureaus, Information Furnishers and Report Users

  12. Television and Electronic Media

  13. Health Care

  14. Business Opportunities, Employment Agencies and Work-At-Home Plans

  15. Computer Equipment and Software

--- go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think. Donations are always welcomed (via paypal). -----follow me on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment