Friday, April 9, 2010

Community Clean-Up Karma

Here in Topeka, we have an annual clean-up, where the city comes around and hauls of all kinds of stuff that you put out by the curb. They won't haul rocks, limbs, or hazardous waste (paint, chemicals, etc). The catch is that you must live in certain areas of town deemed more low income then others in the census track. The city uses volunteers to conduct this clean-up over two Saturdays. This Saturday, they will be in my neighborhood. Since, I am moving to Austin, and need to get my house presentable to be on the market, it is a fantastic time to get my basement and shed cleaned out of the junk. I have already refilled the trash container that my regular trash guy picked up this past Wednesday. Tonight after work, I will start hauling the big stuff out of my basement, that I have piled up at the foot of the steps. Boxes and boxes of trash that was swept off the floor (or just collected over the years). Pallets, old doors, signs, broken tables, etc. There will be so much stuff that I believe it will be either piled taller then me (5'7") or stretch out into neighbors yards on either side of me. However, no matter, it will be the quickest way to get rid of this stuff, and I won't have to hire someone to haul it off and/or pay extra for my regular trash man to haul it off. Which means it makes perfect financial sense. If I didn't have to work, I would be one of the volunteers going around helping pick up everything people has drug to the curbs.


---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


Donations are always welcomed (via paypal).
-----

follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment