Saturday, April 17, 2010

Forgotten Utility Bill Reappears After 11-Years

Eleven years ago (this past January) I moved away from a small little town, where I grew up for the last time. The town owned the gas and water companies that served the cities residents. When I left I thought I had finished paying the final bill. Well apparently, I hadn't.

This came to light, this past Wednesday when I got a letter from my states set off program, informing me that my $39 refund from the state would be applied to the debt with this small town in my state. I was surprised, so I made a call to Linda and Gary in the City Hall back home.

It seems when I left Jan. 2009, I had in fact had one more bill that had not got paid, or at least completely. The bill was in the amount of $170.64.

Breakdown of said bill
  • $110.61 - Gas
  • 34.44 - Water
  • $16.90 - Sewer
  • $9.50 - Misc taxes and other fees

  • In 2005, the City sent this debt to the State of Kansas to hopefully be collected with the set off program. Since last year, I changed my state withholding's from 1 to 0, I didn't owe the state for the first time since 2002. That being the case I had a refund due me, which now I won't see this year either because now I owe another debt that I didn't realize that I had out there.

    Still though, if I get it taken care of now, I won't have to worry about it next year, when I do my non-resident Kansas State Income taxes.

    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.


    Donations are always welcomed (via paypal).
    -----

    follow me on Twitter




    No comments:

    Post a Comment