Monday, October 5, 2009

Royal Engagement

This past Saturday was the big day. The day I asked my girlfriend to marry me. Here is how it went down.

After work, I slipped out of the work clothes and quickly went to her place (in my Jeans & t-shirt) to pick her up for the big night. We started by having dinner at Speck's Bar and Grill, a Topeka landmark for many years. After dinner, we headed to the Topeka Roadrunners Hockey game. Half way through the third period, during what they call the media time-out (when the radio station broadcasting the game goes to commercial break), the announcer came over under the guise that I was going to be a contestant on their trivia contest. When the appointed time came, the announcer announced that it was time for Roadrunner Trivia.

"We don't have a question though," he said, "but we think Kevin might." Handing me me mic i got down on one knee as best as I could and asked Pat, if she would marry me. As I opened the box containing the ring. (The question was also displayed on the message board, which most of the crowd could see, though it wasn't visable to our section).

Her reaction was one of surprise and shock. After, what seemed like an eternity, the announcer took the mic back and announced that she was in a little bit of shock. Then asked her if we had an answer. At which point she replied into the microphone a strong and happy, Yes."

After which several fans, who we didn't know came up and congratulated us. In addition, her best friend happened to be in the stands and came over to hug and congratulate us both.

Even as we left, with the Runners having won 8-2, people were still congratulating us. It was most certainly the happiest day of my life. I look forward to introducing the future Princess of Thrift in the near future.



---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
-----

follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment