Wednesday, September 30, 2009

My Dream Trip: Presidential Library & Museum Tour

I wrote most of this about a year ago, although, it wasn't complete. So Once again, here is the updated post, that I originally wrote in July 2008.

One of my goals is to visit every Presidential Library and Museum. Since, not every President has one, it's really not that hard of a goal to meet. There are only 12, unless you count the duplicates. Nixon and Ford have two locations, so if you count both of those then there are 14. Fords 2 are the only ones that are in the same state. Nixon, has one in Maryland and one in California. Of course there are also other museums that include Presidential homes that aren't part of the Presidential Library and Museum System. Such Museums includes George Washington's home and also Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello.

So far, the Presidential places I have visited:




  • Jimmy Carter Presidential Library, Atlanta, GA












  • Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library, Abilene, KS












  • Ronald Reagan Birthplace, Tampico, IL

    There is also the Ronald Reagan boyhood home, in Dixon, IL. OK, so now the list of the remaining Presidential Libraries (& Museums) and Presidential attractions that are on my list to visit eventually. One of which is only about 75 miles from me.




    1. Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum, Simi Valley, CA
    2. Richard Nixon Presidential Museum, Yorba Linda, CA
    3. Lyndon B. Johnson Library, Austin, TX
    4. George Bush Library, College Station, TX
    5. Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Museum
    6. Harry S. Truman Library, Independence, MO
    7. William J Clinton Library, Little Rock, AR
    8. Herbert Hoover Library, West Branch, IA
    9. Gerald Ford Library, Ann Arbor, MI
    10. Gerald Ford Museum, Grand Rapids, MI
    11. Richard Nixon Library, College Park, MD
    12. Franklin D, Roosevelt Presidential Center, Hyde Park, NY
    13. John F. Kennedy Presidential Center, Boston, MA
    14. George H. W. Bush Presidential Center, College Station, TX
    15. Bill Clinton Presidential Center, Little Rock, AR
    16. George W. Bush Presidential Center, Dallas, TX


    In addition, I would love to get to these other locations that aren't part of the National Archives.












  • Ronald Reagan boyhood home, Dixon, IL












  • Thomas Jefferson's Montecillo, Charlottesville, VA












  • George Washngton's home/plantation (Mount Vernon), Mount Vernon, Virginia


    Of course, I don't know how I would fund such a trip. Still it is my dream. I certainly want to get back to New York, in the near future, and during that trip visit the FDR museum. Perhaps in the near future, I can make it up the road (70 miles) to the Truman Museum for the first time in my life.
    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
    -----

    follow me on Twitter



  • No comments:

    Post a Comment