Friday, September 18, 2009

New Siding


I have mentioned my new siding a little. Now is the time to really discuss it and tell all my readers about it. As you can see in the on the right, when I bought the house a number of years ago, the house was in serious need of repair.  A few months later, the house had a new paint job along with a new porch.  Fast forward ten years, and the water damaged siding was in much more need of attention. Simply painting over it again, was not going to work this time.  Still though, from a distance the house still looked fairly decent (picture 3).  However, once work began (picture 4) the house really began to take shape.  With the finished project seen in the last picture.  Due to my own personal finances, we are waiting until next year to finish the trims, sofets (under the guttering) and bay window area.

So why did, I chose the company I went with? First they are the largest home remodelers in the country. More importantly though, the siding is durable and has a lifetime guarantee against chipping, cracking, and peeling.  In addition since it is vinyl, I will need to paint the house again.

Most importantly to me though, is the fact that my walls never had insulation in them.  Before they put on the new siding, the contractor installed insulation over the old siding and under the new (as seen in picture 4). Which means my energy costs should sharply decrease this winter.  Not to mention the home energy tax credit I will be able to claim on my taxes come April.  Which means more money in my pocket. 

The gentleman, who came and performed the job was first rate.  He was professional and courteous the entire length of the project.  With the new siding, I should be shoe-win for the most improved house next spring. 

Still though I need to get focused on the next aspects of my home.  Making it more handicapped accessible. Including the porch, parking and moving of the utility room from the basement. 

Perhaps one day, I can even get the windows replaced even.  However, first things first. 



***This is an unsolicited review***
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
-----

follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment