Thursday, September 10, 2009

Health Care Debate

There has been much debate recently over health care reform. So many opinions out there, who do you believe. I certainly believe that we desperately need reform in the health care arena. How though, is the question. No matter what anyone says to the contrary, there will be an increase in taxes to pay for public funded health care. As such, I really don't want to pay higher taxes if I can't drop my employers health coverage in exchange for the public one. Especially, if it is cheaper then the $10/bi-weekly that I am paying currently. Still though, even if I am paying anything at all to taxes to fund it, I don't want to paying premiums to a private company on top of those taxes.

There is so many proposals, it is hard to decide which to support. As a long time advocate for the poor, I know something must be done. However, the rest of us can't be taxed to death to pay for it. Two of my followers say the best option is to take care of yourself.

Craig (aka BudgetPulse on Twitter) said,
Take good care of yourself early and exercise, eat right cause medical costs are expensive.

Rick Kuhlman said,
take as best care of yourself or you will pay dearly.

But, how do you take care of yourself? One option available to some people is flat rate health care, as described on a recent NBC Newscast (see video below).


Then of course there is the public option.
“We’re trying to provide choice and competition for individuals and small business owners,” Mr. Gibbs said when asked if the public option was “essential.”

“The president strongly believes we need to provide choice and competition,” he said. Pressed on whether Mr. Obama would demand that a government insurance program be included in legislation, Mr. Gibbs said that it could be a “valuable component” of any health plan. And asked whether the president would reject a plan that did not include government insurance, Mr. Gibbs responded: “We are not going to prejudge where the process will be.”
- NY TIMES

Here is what some readers had to say about health care reform when approached Wednesday.

Rick Kuhlman said,
I'm all for it--I paid $0 one year and $120 for dentist appointment the next. $120 in two years now that was affordable--i choose not to have health care for two years--because I had that choice.

During those two years I cared for myself health wise more than ever! I brushed my teeth and flossed daily--not every other day every single day! never got sick for two years! worked out at gym and at home 3-5 days every week...every week. I felt like a million bucks--so I kept doing it."

Mike Broemmel said,
I think reforming the health care system in the U.S. is a top priority. It simply is not working effectively. The vast majority of people without health insurance coverage have not voluntarily elected to go without -- they cannot afford coverage and they need it. I support doing away with waiting periods, I support portability and, yes, I support the public option. This is not some radical proposition. The majority of U.S. Presidents in the past 60 years supported significant health care reform ... and not just the Democrats. President Nixon seriously considered implementing a type of universal health care for the American people. If our agricultural delivery system failed at distributing basic food stuffs to the American people as poorly as the health system has provided basic medical care (both life sustaining issues) people would have been up in arms. There is too much misinformation being spewed about by those opposed to reforming the system.

Republican Senator Pat Roberts, the Junior Senator from Kansas, was quoted on NPR and WIBW-TV as saying,
I have taken a hard look at the proposals before the Congress and I will not support ill-considered legislation that hurts those it intends to help. Many of the proposals will have dire consequences for patients – denying access to quality, affordable health care, raising taxes and rationing care. The unprecedented cost of a public plan will have a staggering effect on our economy.

So what is your opinion? Did you here the Presidents speech last night? Do you agree with him? What is your opinion on making health care more affordable to all Americans?

---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
-----

follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment