Monday, October 13, 2008

Holdings Down - Personal Economy Is Up

Friday, I got my statements from my retirement accounts. First my TransAmerica acount, which was opened a few months ago, when I rolled over my former company's 401-K. I had rolled over $4,761.93 and paid $15 in fees. According to my 1st quarterly statement, I lost $733.71 or 15.4%.

I also received my statement from my current employers Simple IRA Plan, over the course of the last couple months, I have deposited $657.98 (includes employers partial match). With the down turn in the market, I lost $70.46, or 10.71%.

As with so many people, I am feeling the pinch in my retirement accounts. However, my individual stock holdings are seem to be doing a little better overall (as of Saturday).
My account, last time I looked was valued at #333.86, but now is at $266.86.
As many know I like Dave Ramsey, and he is against or advises against owning individual stocks, but many of mine are less then 1 share (at this point).
  • Westar Energy 0.7939 shares down $2.21 (-12.99%)
  • Pier 1 3.1441 shares down $14.31 (-71.34%)
  • Kroger 5.1986 shares up $35.03 (+39.54)
  • Coca-Cola 2.0001 shares down $3.4095 (-3.92%)
  • Berkshire-Hathaway 0.0087 shares up $7.89 (+31.56)

    Over all my individual stocks was up from where I had purchased them by $23.00 (+9.69%). If I had the money. This would actually be a good time to increase my holdings in these stocks, so that I could ride them back up.

    Getting away from the the market, my personal economy is up. That is because, I had the foresight, two years ago, to get out of debt. If I was still in debt like I was 2+ years ago, I would be in a world of hurt in this economy. I could be better, but I certainly could be worse. And, in the next few months, I will be debt free. Can't wait till the day I can be on the Dave Ramsey show yelling, "I'm Debt Free." Expecting that will be July, but hoping for March. I mean wouldn't that be great, if this blog turns 3, the same month I pay off the last of my debt?



    ---
    go ahead share your thoughts with me now.

    Get Paid to Sign Up, Refer Others, Read E-Mail, Complete Offers, and More!
  • 2 comments:

    1. That would be very kewl Kevin!
      I love to listen online to Dave's show and hear folk ring in to shout their freedom!
      Been some on youtube too!
      Keep on at the debt Kevin.

      ReplyDelete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete