Sunday, June 24, 2007

Trip Was a Set Back but a Pleasent One.

Yesterday, despite my current poor financial situation I made the 2 to 2.5 hour trek to my hometown of La Cygne. A small city in eastern Kansas. As I was leaving I did stop to wave at my parents (I did talk to them for a minute or two) while I sat at the stop sign in front of their house.

I made the trip for my (20-year) high school reunion. Despite my disappointment that the gas prices down there was not posted on KansasGasPrices.com I pleased to see the prices were comparable to Topeka and not that much higher, as has been the case on previous trips. Maybe some of my classmates still in that area will see this post and start updating the website.

Still though, I decided to wait to fill up until I returned to Topeka, as I had barely used any of my gas. My car was able to squeak out 35/miles per gallon (mpg). I was pleased to see that so my 240 mile round trip only set me back $19.


It was a great time visiting with the 15 (of 54) classmates that actually showed up. Of course some could not be located which was a disappointment, others were local and did not show up. In fact, it was mainly the out-of-towners that showed up, including an organizer who came all the way from Ohio to see how the classmates turned out.

I have to be honest there were several that I did not recognize. Others I knew right away. Except for some thinning hair and a major change in glasses, I still was recognizable to most everyone. For me, there was only 4 that I recognized right off, others were recognized after a few minutes or someone said there name.

By the next reunion, I will be completely debt-free and I will have money in the bank to cover the travel expenses. In addition, by that time I will be driving a totaly paid for car. I just hope by that time, I will at least have married and can introduce the princess of thrift.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you had a great time. While only spending $19, this is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete