Thursday, November 23, 2006

Miscellanious Thoughts: Don't Buy, Unless You Have The Cash


It has been a couple of weeks since I have posted anything. It has been a busy time at work, and I have been just exhausted when I come home. Thanksgiving time at a grocery store is very busy. During the past couple of weeks, I have been attempting to move into another position that is available at work, but they offered it to someone else. The position would not have been a promotion for me (same rank), just better hours.

However I did see the Warren Buffett special on CNBC that aired Monday (Nov. 20) at 7 pm Central (8 Eastern).

Be a fly on the wall for Liz Claman's one-hour, revealing and rare visit with billionaire Warren Buffett. He's unconventional and acts on what you can't teach - his gut. Claman spent a day with him and explored everything from his first childhood business to his tastes in music, tv, and clothes to his thoughts on big business. Learn why he recently pledged $31 billion. All this, and the world's second wealthiest man doesn't even have a cell phone or a computer. This is the story of Warren Buffet: the billionaire next door.


Most of the show talked about facts that most any hard core fan, such as myself would already know. There were, however, a couple of things that I didn't know. One of which surprised me, but makes sense, given his wealth and the lifestyle I already knew he lived.
The first thing I learned was that he had sold his Lincoln (famous for it's "thrifty" license plate) on ebay earlier this year. The other was a comment that he made to the interviewer Liz Claman. The comment, is one that agrees with Dave Ramsey. Ramsey is famous for saying that rich people don't use credit cards and that is part of the reason they are rich. A statement that several of the readers of this blog disagree with. Buffett made the comment that he has never owned a credit card. A fact that surprised me, given the fact that owns a huge stake in American Express (NYSE: AXP).

In other news this month, I have completely blown my budget for the month. I must resist the temptation to overspend and stick to my budget. I did a lousy job this month, but I promise to do better next month. I must learn from Buffett, to live within my means. I. E.: Don't buy unless you have the cash saved up for it!

1 comment:

  1. A personage (a status granted only by those who have been born) who does not believe in, nor is willing to manifest, an unconditional love and respect
    for the sanctity of unique unborn human life can not be considered to be as ethical (honorable and good) as he and this interview (Warren Buffet: The Billionaire Next Door) would like to lead us to believe he is.

    ReplyDelete