Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Save On Utililities

So this morning I was reading through, Larry Burkett's "The World's Easiest Guide To Finances." I found an interesting tidbit, given the rising cost of utilities, that I thought I would share.

  • Keep your thermostat set at 68-70 dgrees (as MapGirl points out, some even say 65, which I did this past year) in winter (74-78, some even say 80 in the summer). Use blankets and layers of clothing to keep warm and more fans to stay cool.

  • Close vents in unused rooms

  • Don't leave the faucet on while brushing your teeth or shaving.

  • Don't do half loads of laundry. Always fill the machine to capacity.

    Just a few simple ideas to help reduce the utility bills around the home.
  • 2 comments:

    1. "68-70 dgrees in winter"?

      Are you crazy? No higher than 65! Throw on a sweater!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I set the temp to 70 in the winter and I put plastic over the windows to keep out drafts. That works the best for me. The heaters hardly ever turn on and the temp stays constant. My bill is real low this way. Setting it to 65 doesn't change the cost of my bill. I tried it. It just means my apartment is at a lower constant temperature.

      That's my situation anyway. Good post.

      ReplyDelete