Saturday, November 26, 2011

Choosing The Right Medicare Supplement

This year, in fact March 1, 2012, my wife will become eligible for Medicare. The initial Medicare insurance and Part B is provided automatically. It is the senior Medigap policies and prescription drug (part D) plans that one needs to shop around and find the best plan. For example if you chose the wrong one, then you could have a doughnut hole in your Part D plan, which means some prescriptions would have to paid completely 100% out of your pocket. Part D and the supplemental are provided through private insurance companies and are not a part of the government insurance. Don't get me wrong they are not the same either. Part D as I said before is prescription drug coverage and senior Medigap policies covers what the so called Part A and B don't cover.

Think about it this way, parts A and B would be more compatible to your traditional insurance.  Covering 80% of your doctor visits and hospitalization. senior Medigap policies covers the other 20%. Basically it covers deductibles, co-pays,  and a lot of the little surprise expenses that you and I might not think about.
Over all it is a lot to consider, because once you chose a plan you are stuck with until the next open enrollment. I am lucky, that my wife worked in this field a few years back, so she knows the questions to ask.Much more so then me. If you are in the market for Medicare this year, do your homework and chose the right plans for you. I don't know that we will ever move to Florida, but I am confident my wife will chose the right one for her. Let's face it, no two seniors are the same, so why should the medicare coverage for seniors and handicapped adults be the same.







----------
My name is Kevin, and that's what I think. What do you think? Agree? Disagree?

follow us on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment