Monday, July 4, 2011

Have a Happy and Frugal Fourth of July

Today is the 4th of July as well as Frugal Monday. As such it seems most appropriate to merge the holiday into this post. I know I have readers from almost every country however I am still an American and proud of it. I mean no disrespect to my visitors from England (which makes up the largest group of foreign visitors) or any other country. That said it is possible to celebrate the fourth of July without bankrupting yourself in the process (for my English visitors Guy Fawkes Day I believe is the only day that comes closest to our American Independence Day).

So what are some ideas to celebrate this Independence Day frugally?
    Fireworks
  1. Pass on purchasing anything more than sparklers. There's likely already a great fireworks display happening somewhere nearby. Personally, I haven't even bought sparklers since I became an adult. Fireworks has always been something as an adult I have watched the neighbors and professionals do. I myself never spent the money on them.
    This year however, because of the severe drought in south and central Texas (not to mention much of the south and southwest) most areas around here have banned the sell and purchase of fireworks. Most communities have even cancelled their public displays. This is saving a lot of private individuals and community groups a lot of money. It is however hurting the pocketbooks of the businesses that sell the explosives we all love to awe and gawk over.


  2. Make Your Picnic/Cookout a Potluck
    I love this idea and to be honest I really think it is the best idea for any frugal party. Let's face it all that food can be expensive, but if you provide the meat and each of your guests bring a side dish that barbecue doesn't have to be so expensive. Put simply in Fourth of July terms; If you're having a classic Fourth of July barbecue, you provide the dogs, burgers, and buns, and let your guests bring the side dishes, chips, and drinks.






--- go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think. follow me on Twitter and facebook



No comments:

Post a Comment