Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Energy Detective

About a month ago (on June 17, 2009) I installed a device called The Energy Detective (TED) to measure the amount of energy that I use and estimate how much that energy bill will be. After the first month the estimated energy bill was about %56.60. The actual bill, which arrived yesterday was, $88.65 for a 31-day billing period.

Last month the $133.63 with $48.48 being past due. Which means $85.15 was the actual current due at the time (for a 29-day billing period).

That means, I saved $0 since installing the device. Of course, I could have done the same thing without the device, but since it measures the amount of electricity that I use, it helps prompt me to make those cuts in the energy bill, that I know I already need to cut.

With all the unplugging of the second refrigerator alone, I should have had a reduction in my bill, so why did my bill increase? That was a question, I put to the Westar Energy rep, when I called them about my bill. The representative, really couldn't explain it, except to say, it was hotter, so everything had to work harder to keep up.

I will continue to track my energy usage, and see if my number of kilowatts that I used starts going down in future months.
---
go ahead share your thoughts with me now, my ears are open. I'm always eager to hear what you think.
-----
follow me on Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment