Friday, February 8, 2013

Social Media Meeting Last Night - Networking SxSw

Last night my wife and I had the opportunity to visit a group of other Social Media enthusiasts at the Java Jive on 5th (aka Starbucks @ the Hilton), before walking over to the Austin Convention Center. It was a great chance to learn some things about social media as well as network with some other people.  The group seems to meet about twice a month and is one of several social media groups around Austin, although a number of the people attend the other groups as well.
The meeting last night focused around networking at large events such as the biggest one in Austin, known to the world as SXSW.  We covered a number of different platforms, some of which like Foursquare which I do not currently use. All of which was discussed in the manner of using your smart phone or tablet devices rather then your laptops. The reason for that was mainly because laptops are horrible to use when trying to network at an event (or concert) such as SXSW.  A phone for example, you can check in someplace and see instantly that who else is checking in at the same time. Thus meet and network with them.  
So, I guess I will be checking out Foursquare, and if I have enough space on my phone see about adding it to the phone. In the meantime, I will be awaiting the Social media Breakfast on February 21.

P.S. on a side note the wife and I seen the Google car photographing the area as we were crossing the intersection to the Convention Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment